Chipping by Monobank: 40,000 user stories for 2.5 cents using an Instagram filter from FFFACE.ME
April 1st is April Fool's Day. It's a must to play pranks on those around you. Monobank decided to give its customers a tool to help with this and, at the same time, make some buzz.
At that time, several topics were actively being shared around the Ukrainian information space. First, of course, was vaccination. Other related topics were also being discussed, like hidden chipping (along with other conspiracy theories like 5G towers, Bill Gates, technology and pharmaceutical companies etc.).
As a result, Monobank strategist Ilia Sokolyuk came up with the idea on April 1st to provide all Monobank customers with the opportunity to voluntarily "implant themselves with a chip". The chip would allow clients to transfer money through a handshake, use cashless payment for services without a terminal, and even project images on their retinas or smartphones.
FFFACE.ME was involved in the implementation of the project.
It was clear that the filter would only be used for one day from the very beginning. Because of this, it was necessary to strike a balance between development complexity, humour and readability.
Monobank's cat mascot had to be integrated into the filter, but this had to be done subtly so that it didn't draw everyone's attention directly to it. People generally don't like overtly branded filters. Because of this, we only used the mascot's paw, which jumps out from behind the edge of the screen when recording and slaps a chip on the user's forehead.
Finally, it was necessary to make a filter that, on the one hand, works easily in one tap and, on the other hand, invokes a purely emotional reaction from the user while they record. To do this, we decided that the chipping would only happen after the user started recording.
The filter turned out like this:
The filter needed to be accessible, simple and convenient.
Monobank didn't just place the filter on their Instagram but also directly in the Monobank application (using a link, they can be shared in any media, even offline). This way, the link didn't just activate Instagram followers but all their customers, turning them into brand ambassadors.
Remember that an Instagram filter isn't a magic pill that works by itself, someone usually has to launch it. In this case, we worked with just one influencer, but the most effective for this audience - it was Monobank co-founder Oleg Gorokhovsky.
The campaign launched loudly:
- Coverage: 1.8 million
- UGC: 39 600 stories
- Price for 1 UGC: 2.5 cents
- CPM: 55 cents
25+ media mentions.
It made a lot of noise, well-done everyone
- Implementation period: 1 day
- Budget: 1000 USD
- When launching a campaign, it is essential to analyze the information sphere. Often you can find topics to resonate with and create more buzz.
- A good idea and a high-profile campaign don't necessarily require a large budget and long implementation time. In this case of situational marketing, ideas that work best were done quickly and inexpensively.
- It's important to take a holistic approach when working with filters. The campaign results we received weren't achieved by the filter itself but by a set of efforts – choosing a viral topic, distribution method and support by the brand's key representative.